11 July 2008

The Story So Far

Recently the Roman History Books and More online reading group read Ovid's Metamorphoses. Many of the stories Ovid tells were familiar from the children's books of stories from mythology I'd read as a child, and I thought it would be interesting to see some of the ways they'd been used since ancient times. So, I started a series of blog posts on the stories and how they've been represented in the arts, particularly painting, sculpture and music. I'm not an art historian or musicologist, I can't discourse learnedly on what I've turned up, but I'm having fun tracking down some of these works and I'd like to show you what I've found.

To start with, here are links to my earlier posts on Roman History Books and More. You'll notice that the earliest ones are much less detailed than the later ones. I was still finding my way and deciding what I wanted to do and how I wanted to present it.

Pyrrha and Deucalion
Apollo and Python
Apollo and Daphne
Io and Argus
Pan and Syrinx
Phaethon and the Heliades.

No comments: